Here is an explanation of the different types of assignments that students will encounter on CodeHS:
Most Common Assignment Types
- Video: students watch an instructional video created by CodeHS
- Quizzes: students answer multiple choice questions. Final Exams are longer and encompass a larger scope (see below for more info on Quiz types)
- Examples: pre-written code for students to explore and experiment with
- Exercises: short coding exercise usually with an Autograder and/or test cases to evaluate student code. Check out Program Types and Autograders for more info.
- Challenge: longer coding exercise with more complex solutions - teacher grading needed to review all the requirements of the exercise
- Badges: a reward for students who complete a Lesson, Module, or Course
Other Assignment Types
- Connection: An article, video, or activity which presents relevant Course content
- Free Response: students type into a notepad to answer free response questions
- Notes: provides student information about the topic
- Survey: brief section for students to give feedback about their feelings and the Course
- Practice: coding exercise that evaluates a specific method, function, or unit of code - always includes an Autograder
CodeHS has several Formative and Summative assessment types for quizzes. To learn more, check out this article: Quiz Types
Still have questions? Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!