Click Courses in the left-hand menu to access your Courses page:
On this page you can:
- Access Course Settings, Assignments, Due Dates & Access Controls
- Create a new course
- Copy a course
- Add a new section to a course
- Archive a course
- Delete a course
What's the difference between a Course and a Section?
- Within CodeHS, a Course is a sequence of curriculum that your students will work through. Courses are made up of Assignments.
- Each Course can have multiple Sections.
- Within CodeHS, a Section is a group of students working on a Course.
- An Assignment is any module, lesson or activity that students (within their Sections) work on as part of their Course.
Essentially, a Section is a group of students (like a class), while the Course and Assignments are the curriculum content that they are working on.
Creating a New Course
To create a new Course:
- On your Courses page, click Create New Course
- Enter the Course name
- Select either Choose Course Template or Create Empty Course
- Choose Course Template will populate your Course with curriculum from a specific CodeHS course - check out the Course Catalog to learn more about course offerings! You can also add supplementary material as needed.
- Create Empty Course will allow you to create a custom course from your own curriculum, CodeHS curriculum, or a mix of both.
Creating a Course from the Course Catalog
In the Course Catalog, click Add to My Courses on any CodeHS course to create a new Course on your Courses Page.
Creating a Section
With your Courses set up, it's time to create Sections for your students!
- Click Create Section
- Enter a name for your section and click Create
Copying a Course
If you've made a lot of changes to a Course or its settings, you may wish to copy it for the new school year. To copy a Course, click the three dots and choose Copy Course:
This will make a duplicate of their course with all of the same settings and assignments. Please note: this will only copy over settings that are set on a course level. In other words, if a due date is only set for a specific Section, it will not be copied over.
Updating the Year for Due Dates and Access Controls
Copying Due Dates and Access Controls will copy the dates exactly, including the year. To update the year for these dates all at once:
- Click the three dots next to your new copy of the course
- Choose Due Dates + Access Controls
- Click Update Year and confirm Update Dates if you'd like to proceed
- All years for Due Dates and Access Controls will be rolled forward to the new school year
Still have questions? Contact our team at email@example.com to learn more!