Why Teach Introduction to Virtual Reality:
What’s Covered in Introduction to Virtual Reality:
The CodeHS Introduction to Virtual Reality course is a short course (about 30 hours) that gets students started creating their very own virtual reality experiences.
Here is an overview of the units:
- Getting Started - This unit introduces students to virtual reality and the A-Frame library. Students will create their first virtual reality world!
- Advanced Shapes - In this unit, students are introduced to boxes, cones, and cylinders. Students will also learn where to find out more information about the shapes that A-Frame provides.
- Animation - In this unit, students will learn how to add animations to the objects in their VR worlds. They will learn how to program shapes to move, change color, rotate, and disappear.
- Interaction - In this unit students will learn how to add interactions so that viewers can interact with objects in virtual reality.
- Using 360˚ Images - In this unit, students will learn to work with 360˚ images and videos in their VR worlds. Students will learn the steps to add an image from a 360˚ camera, as well as an image or video sourced online. Students will create their own worlds using 360˚ images, and will gain practice citing their sources when using images captured by others.
- Next Steps - This unit discusses next steps students can take to further explore virtual reality development with a A-Frame. Topics include viewing your creation in a VR device, using the A-Frame documentation and inspector to keep learning, as well as links to more tutorials and training.
- Final Project - In this unit, students will combine the skills they've learned to brainstorm and create their own virtual reality final project.
Prerequisites and Curriculum Pathway(s):
Virtual Reality does not require students to come in with any programming experience. We recommend getting started with these quick playlists, each of which should take 1 class period:
- Getting Started with Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2190
- Advanced Shapes in Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2191
- Using 360˚ Images in Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2192
- Viewing Your VR World in a VR Device: codehs.com/playlist/2193
If you begin the playlists and would like to try out the full course (about 30 hours of curriculum), you can check it out here: https://codehs.com/info/curriculum/vr