The CodeHS Java Level 1 Certification Exam proves students’ foundational understanding of Java topics and concepts. This certification can serve as a stepping stone for career aspirations and help build programming skill credibility.
- Format: 45 Multiple Choice Questions
- Delivery Method: Online Timed Exam
Topics & Concepts Covered
- Perform basic input and output using standard packages (including scanner)
- Evaluate the scope of a variable
Working with Data Types, Variables, and Expressions
- Understanding primitive variables including casting and arithmetic operations
- Strings and string methods including parsing
- Arrays - creating, manipulating, and traversing.
- ArrayLists - creating, manipulating, and traversing.
- 2D Arrays - creating, manipulating, and traversing.
Implement Flow Control
- Boolean Expressions including understanding and evaluating logic expressions
- Iterations and Loops including for loops, for-each loops, and while loops
Perform Object-Oriented Programming
- Creating and using objects
- Writing classes, including methods, instance variables, and static methods
- Inheritance and polymorphism, but excludes abstract classes and interfaces
Compile and Debug Code
- Troubleshoot syntax errors, logic errors, and runtime errors
- General recursion analysis including understanding base case and execution counts
There are no prerequisites to take the CodeHS Java Level 1 Certification Exam. However, we recommend that students take the CodeHS AP CSA Course to prepare for the exam.