Block/Text Settings allows you to toggle blocks for a module, lesson or assignment in one place. You can allow blocks for one section or multiple sections. When blocks are allowed, students can toggle between block and text coding.
Languages Compatible with Blocks
- Coding in Art, Music, or Sports
Courses with Block Compatible Activities
- Computing Ideas
- Web Design
- Intro to Programming with Karel
Adjusting Block Settings
You can access block/text settings for a section by:
- click into a section
- hover over Course Settings near the top
- select Block/Text Settings
- select the option at the top to toggle blocks for all activities, or
- expand each module, lesson, and activity to toggle blocks:
Setting the module, lesson or assignment to Yes will allow students to use blocks for the assignments selected.
Students Switching Between Blocks and Text Coding:
If blocks are enabled for a section, students have the option to switch between block and code view. From their editor page, they will see a text bar that reads, "Switch to Code View"
Or, "Switch to Block View"
If the student would like to change their default settings, they can click on the gear symbol in the upper right hand corner of their editor page. From there they can change the default of their editor to show block view or code view upon opening.
Blocks in the Sandbox
Students can set their Block preferences on their Sandbox programs regardless of the section's settings. If the program type is compatible with Blocks, students can click the gear in the upper-left of their Code Editor and toggle their preference for Block Coding:
Allow Blocks for Individual Students
- From your roster page, click on the gear icon next to the student's name
- Control the settings for modules, lessons, or even specific assignments
- If you would like to view less settings, you can select which settings to edit in the top left menu
Still have questions? Contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more!