What's covered in the Teaching Intro CS PD course?
Here is an overview of the course units:
- Welcome - In this first module we give you an overview of the professional development course. We introduce a few key principles and ideas for teaching computer science, and give you a chance to set goals and expectations for how to make the most out of this course.
- Programming with Karel - Module two is programming with Karel. Karel is a dog that only knows how to move, turn left, and place tennis balls in his world. You can give Karel these commands to instruct him to do certain things. We use Karel to show you what it means to program, and allow you to focus on problem solving.
- Teaching Programming with Karel - In this module we'll go over teaching the basics of programming. We will go through concept by concept and explain ways to teach in the classroom, how to grade these problems, and how to debug these problems.
- Teaching Web Development - In this module we'll go over teaching the basics of web development. We will cover common misunderstandings, explain ways to teach these concepts in the classroom, and how to grade student web pages.
- Using CodeHS Effectively - In this short module you will gain an understanding of what CodeHS brings to your classroom, and learn how to use the CodeHS platform effectively.
- Effective Debugging Strategies - Learn effective debugging strategies in this module. Debugging is one of the most important skills to develop both for your own programming and for grading others' code. We'll identify common coding errors and learn how to address them.
- Teaching a Blended Coding Class - The final module dives into the blended classroom environment. We'll discuss best practices and helpful approaches for incorporating online learning in traditional classroom settings.
For more information about the Teaching Intro CS PD course, please visit the info page: codehs.com/info/pd/introcs
To sign up, please visit: codehs.com/learnmore