What's covered in the PD course?
Here is an overview of the course units:
- Welcome - In this first module we give you an overview of the professional development course. We introduce a few key principles and ideas, and give you a chance to set goals and expectations for how to make the most out of this course.
- Increasing Student Investment in Computer Science - Do you like sports, politics, or media? Teachers engage in current topics in programming and learn how to tie in modern technologies, companies, stories, and more to invest students in an inquisitive and fun classroom experience.
- Advanced Tools in the CodeHS Toolbox - Teachers take a deep dive into the CodeHS toolbox to learn more about tracking, gradebook, quiz and problems banks, and the Create functionality.
- Student Collaboration- Did you know the best programmers work in teams? Teachers incorporate collaborative programming best practices into their blended learning classroom to increase student collaboration with pair programming, student projects, ideation sessions, and white boarding.
- Advanced Topics in Debugging - All programs get bugs — how do you squash the tricky ones? Teachers continue mastering the art of debugging advanced programs and problems by learning about new tools, tips, and best practices when it comes to squashing bugs in your student’s code.
- Assessing Student Mastery - How do you assess code that looks so different? Teachers gain insight into assessing different types of problems, projects, and activities and how to provide constructive feedback to their students.
- The Current Coding Ecosystem - What tools do people use to build websites, games, and mobile apps? Teachers take a deep dive into the various languages, frameworks, and libraries being used by websites and applications today and how to properly explain what each does and break down their unique technologies and functions.
For more information about the Special Topics in Teaching Computer Science PD Course, please visit the info page: https://codehs.com/info/pd/level2
To sign up, please visit: codehs.com/learnmore