Level 2 Professional Development for Computer Science Teachers will prepare teachers to teach their second year and beyond for any computer science course.
What's covered in the Level 2 PD course?
Here is an overview of the course units:
- Welcome - In this first module we give you an overview of the professional development course. We introduce a few key principles and ideas, and give you a chance to set goals and expectations for how to make the most out of this course.
- Increasing Student Investment in Computer Science - Do you like sports, politics, or media? Teachers engage in current topics in programming and learn how to tie in modern technologies, companies, stories, and more to invest students in an inquisitive and fun classroom experience.
- Advanced Tools in the CodeHS Toolbox - Teachers take a deep dive into the CodeHS toolbox to learn more about tracking, gradebook, quiz and problems banks, and the Create functionality.
- Student Collaboration- Did you know the best programmers work in teams? Teachers incorporate collaborative programming best practices into their blended learning classroom to increase student collaboration with pair programming, student projects, ideation sessions, and white boarding.
- Advanced Topics in Debugging - All programs get bugs — how do you squash the tricky ones? Teachers continue mastering the art of debugging advanced programs and problems by learning about new tools, tips, and best practices when it comes to squashing bugs in your student’s code.
- Assessing Student Mastery - How do you assess code that looks so different? Teachers gain insight into assessing different types of problems, projects, and activities and how to provide constructive feedback to their students.
- The Current Coding Ecosystem - What tools do people use to build websites, games, and mobile apps? Teachers take a deep dive into the various languages, frameworks, and libraries being used by websites and applications today and how to properly explain what each does and break down their unique technologies and functions.
This professional development course is designed for passionate teachers who have taken one CodeHS professional development course and are looking to sharpen their pedagogy and content expertise. It is recommended that teachers have taught at least one course with CodeHS prior to taking this course.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enroll?
Simply get in touch here.
There are no applications to fill out, no enrollment limits, no start or end date. The Special Topics in Teaching Computer Science PD Course is open to all at any time.
How long is the course?
Teachers can expect approximately 30 hours of online self paced learning.
How long will I have access to the course?
The course does not expire, teachers will have access to course content at all times. You can always come back and review the course during the school year.
Where is the PD located?
The course is entirely web based. Teachers can take this course anywhere anytime.
What kind of support will I have as I work through the online PD?
CodeHS has a PD Team of former teachers, as well as a network of computer science undergraduate tutors, ready to support you as you work through the PD course.
Teachers will have a dedicated member of the CodeHS PD Team providing one on one support, answering questions, and grading teacher submissions as teachers work through the course. This support continues into the school year.
Teachers will also have access to the CodeHS Teacher Forum as they work through the PD course as well as during the school year. The Teacher Forum is a great resource for learning from other CodeHS teachers, sharing best practices, and getting questions answered.
For more information about the Level 2 CS PD Course, please visit the info page.
Click here to sign up.