Teaching Introduction to Cybersecurity is a new Professional Development course that was launched this past summer. This course will prepare teachers to teach the Introduction to Cybersecurity course.
How do I enroll?
Simply get in touch here.
There are no applications to fill out, no enrollment limits, no start or end date. The Introduction to Cybersecurity PD course is open to all at any time.
Are there prerequisites for taking this PD course?
There are no prerequisites for this course. The Introduction to Cybersecurity PD course assumes no prior experience coding or teaching computer science.
This professional development course is designed for passionate teachers who are interested in teaching computer science, but do not necessarily have a background in programming. No experience is required to take the professional development course.
The course can also be for people who are experienced programmers but have not taught in the classroom before. The focus on the pedagogy of teaching computer science and leveraging the blended classroom format makes the online professional development an extremely helpful experience for new teachers.
How long is the course?
Teachers can expect approximately 30 hours of online self paced learning.
How long will I have access to the course?
The course does not expire, teachers will have access to course content at all times. You can always come back and review the course during the school year.
Where is the PD located?
The course is entirely web based. Teachers can take this course anywhere anytime.
What kind of support will I have as I work through the online PD?
CodeHS has a PD Team of former teachers, as well as a network of computer science undergraduate tutors, ready to support you as you work through the PD course.
Teachers will have a dedicated member of the CodeHS PD Team providing one on one support, answering questions, and grading teacher submissions as teachers work through the course. This support continues into the school year.
Teachers will also have access to the CodeHS Teacher Forum as they work through the PD course as well as during the school year. The Teacher Forum is a great resource for learning from other CodeHS teachers, sharing best practices, and getting questions answered.
What's covered in the PD course?
Here is an overview of the course units:
- Welcome - In this first module we give you an overview of the Introduction to Cybersecurity Professional Development Course. We’ll learn about key principles and ideas for teaching Cybersecurity, discuss issues of access and equity in the field of Computer Science, and set goals and expectations for how to make the most out of this course.
- Cybersecurity Bootcamps - In these modules, teachers learn the basics of cyber hygiene, cryptography and software security. Students will learn about common attacks and recommend solutions for flawed security systems.
- Using CodeHS Effectively - In this short module you will gain an understanding of what CodeHS brings to your classroom, practice using the teaching tools CodeHS provides, and learn how to use the CodeHS platform effectively.
- Teaching Cyber Hygiene - In this module we'll go over teaching the basics of cyber hygiene. We will cover common misunderstandings, explain ways to teach these concepts in the classroom, and how to grade student work.
- Teaching Cryptography and Security - In this module we’ll go over teaching the basics of cryptography and security. We will cover common misunderstandings, explain ways to teach these concepts in the classroom, and how to grade student work.
- Teaching a Blended Coding Class - Learn what leading a blended classroom with both online and offline activities looks like, and learn helpful ideas and best practices for incorporating online learning into a traditional classroom.
- Supplemental Content: Teacher Interviews! Hear from expert teachers who have taught computer science with CodeHS.
For more information about the Teaching Introduction to Cybersecurity PD course, please visit the info page: https://codehs.com/info/pd/cybersecurity
To sign up, please visit: codehs.com/learnmore