The CodeHS Introduction to Virtual Reality course is a short course (about 30 hours) that gets students started creating their very own virtual reality experiences.
Here is an overview of the units:
- Getting Started - This unit introduces students to virtual reality and the A-Frame library. Students will create their first virtual reality world!
- Advanced Shapes - In this unit, students are introduced to boxes, cones, and cylinders. Students will also learn where to find out more information about the shapes that A-Frame provides.
- Animation - In this unit, students will learn how to add animations to the objects in their VR worlds. They will learn how to program shapes to move, change color, rotate, and disappear.
- Interaction - In this unit students will learn how to add interactions so that viewers can interact with objects in virtual reality.
- Using 360˚ Images - In this unit, students will learn to work with 360˚ images and videos in their VR worlds. Students will learn the steps to add an image from a 360˚ camera, as well as an image or video sourced online. Students will create their own worlds using 360˚ images, and will gain practice citing their sources when using images captured by others.
- Next Steps - This unit discusses next steps students can take to further explore virtual reality development with a A-Frame. Topics include viewing your creation in a VR device, using the A-Frame documentation and inspector to keep learning, as well as links to more tutorials and training.
- Final Project - In this unit, students will combine the skills they've learned to brainstorm and create their own virtual reality final project.
We recommend getting started with these quick playlists, each of which should take 1 class period:
Getting Started with Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2190
Advanced Shapes in Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2191
Using 360˚ Images in Virtual Reality: codehs.com/playlist/2192
Viewing Your VR World in a VR Device: codehs.com/playlist/2193
If you begin the playlists and would like to try out the full course (about 30 hours of curriculum), please get in touch here: https://codehs.com/learnmore