What's covered in the PD course?
Here is an overview of the course units:
- Welcome - Overview of the Computing Ideas professional development course. Learn about key principles and ideas for teaching Computing Ideas, discuss issues of access and equity in the field of Computer Science, and set goals and expectations for how to make the most out of this course.
- Programming Bootcamp - Dive in and learn the basics of web development and programming by working through a portion of the Computing Ideas curriculum. Create your own creative programs and web pages, including your own codehs.me homepage
- Using CodeHS Effectively - In this short module you will gain an understanding of what CodeHS brings to your classroom, practice using the teaching tools CodeHS provides, and learn how to use the CodeHS platform effectively.
- Teaching Web Development - In this module we'll go over teaching the basics of web development. We will cover common misunderstandings, explain ways to teach these concepts in the classroom, and how to grade student web pages.
- Teaching Programming with Karel - This module covers the pedagogy behind teaching introductory programming topics with Karel the Dog. We will cover common misunderstandings, explain ways to teach these concepts in the classroom, and how to grade student programs.
- Basics of Debugging - Debugging is locating and fixing errors in programs, and is one of the most important skills for your own programming as well as grading others’ code. In this module we’ll identify common errors, and teach you effective debugging strategies that you can model and teach to your students.
- Teaching a Blended Coding Class - Learn what leading a blended classroom with both online and offline activities looks like, and learn helpful ideas and best practices for incorporating online learning into a traditional classroom.
- Supplemental Content: Teacher Interviews! Hear from expert teachers who have taught computer science with CodeHS.
For more information about the Teaching Computing Ideas PD course, please visit the info page: codehs.com/info/pd/computing_ideas
To sign up, please visit: codehs.com/learnmore
Did this answer your question?